Monday, November 12, 2012

Charm Swap Reveal

Way back, when the temperatures were quite a bit warmer, Jen Cameron, Glass Addictions, put out a call for a fun charm swap. I love participating in swaps and a bonus! The swap is also going to benefit Beads of Courage, an organization providing support and strength for children with serious illnesses. The criteria was that we were to a charm for everyone in our group plus create an extra charm to be auctioned off for the Beads of Courage auctions. The theme is laughter, after all what better theme to benefit kids and what a joyous sound...kids laughing.

There were a ton of ideas swimming around in my head for this theme. Then one day, while my toes were in the sand and I was relaxing in the sun listening to my children play in the surf, it hit me. There's one place where everyone laughs and has fun, kids and those of us that are young at heart...the beach! 


All the other ideas were swept to the back burner, and I decided to create a charm that is a sand pail and shovel. Gotta have a sand pail and definitely a shovel for the beach! I cut the pail from copper sheet and sawed out a starfish design, added a little brass shovel, and a sturdy silver handle. The pail is oxidized to make the starfish motif pop. Finally, a piece of sari silk is tied to the handle, simply to add some color. I was gently reminded that people don't tie ribbons to sand pails, but hey, I thought it was fun!


A super big thanks to Jen for coordinating this event!

Don't forget the auctions, it's for the kids...laughter is the best medicine!













Denielle Hagerman http://somebeadsandotherthings.com  







Jennifer Cameron http://wp.me/p1xIa0-wn















Natalie McKenna http://www.grubbi.co.uk/ 



Robin Koza http://www.robinkoza.com  










Shelby

17 comments:

  1. I love these. I received one of these cool charms and am happy to have one. I must saw you did a WONDERFUL job with your sawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shelby! These are AMAZING!!! I love (LOVE) them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a most delightful charm! I love that you thought of the iconic image of a sand bucket. The beach is a happy place! Thanks for sharing your talents with the swap. I will be watching for this on in the auction! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! They turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great charm! I love your idea, and the design is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got one of these! Very nice piece, as well as a charming inspiration story. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelby, your beachy charms warm my heart... Such a fun remembrance of summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely charms and I am amazed that you could cut out such a tiny design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so lovely - I saw them in another post and I loved the idea of a pail & shovel! You must think in miniature, and that's something very hard to do - you did it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you put a lot of work into the charms -- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOOOOVE this idea! I'm a beach person so this charm really speaks to my heart. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beach and sand seem to have such a wonderfully sentimental pull for so many of us. This is a wonderful charm - I envy the recipients!

    ReplyDelete