Monday, May 17, 2010

Chain Maille

At BeadFest Wire, I had the chance to meet Anne Mitchell and fondle her chain maille pieces. I've never really had any interest in chain maille and often skip over these projects in magazines. However, Anne pieces immediately caught my eye and I had a hard time pulling myself away from her table, but when I did...I left with her book Chain Making Techniques. The book is very easy to understand, lots of step by step photos, and each project is rated for difficulty.



I had no problem tackling my first chain maille project. And I love it! I love the thick, weighty feel, and how it stands out. I have a feeling I'll be doing more chain maille. The only thing that needs a little more mastering is getting the jump rings cut just right.





6 comments:

  1. Love the bracelet - very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great first project! Is that Inca Puno/box chain? And with a little practice the flush cutting becomes easy. I'm experimenting with micro chainmaille and the question how small I can make it. Fun, but I need a magnifier! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Anne refers to it as Queen's Link...it was easy once I got the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! You did it! Its so gorgeous and chunky. Great creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I'm so impressed. I was impressed when I saw you picked up this book to begin with...me, I bought one of Anne's finished pieces instead. :-) I've always wanted to give chainmaille a try. After seeing your gorgeous bracelet, I know I'd love to give it a try (just need a few more hours in a day!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I bought that book from her, too!

    ReplyDelete