Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Challenge...

Every month, I look forward to seeing the inspiration for the Art Bead Scene challenge. This month's inspiration is the Drama Medallion, displayed on Radio City Music Hall.



 I don't know how I missed this on my recent trip to NYC, but I would have loved to see it in person. This piece of artwork is so inspiring for me. The colors and texture just spoke to me. I knew I wanted to create a piece with this as being the inspiration...whether I'd get to it before the month was over was questionable... At any rate, I'd been gazing at the medallion for a couple weeks now, and had a design in mind that was calling to me every time I walked into the workshop. So this is my interpretation...


Yikes, this really isn't the best picture, the copper looks kind dull, in real life it has a beautiful, shine underneath the oxidation. Anyhow...the copper pendant was created to duplicate the shape of the medallion, and there are smaller copper circles floating around in the necklace. The copper discs, which are textured, and the wirework, give this necklace a lot of texture. Then of course I had to add the fabulous colors. I'm thrilled with this pieces...especially since I didn't sketch it out first...that's like living on the edge for me. And to top it all off, I'm SO excited to be chosen as the designer of the week on Art Bead Scene Blog.

Cheers!


7 comments:

  1. Wonderful interpretation, Shelby! I have been trying to come up with one myself.
    Congrats on being chosen als designer of the week on the Art Bead Scene Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your necklace Shelby, especially the little extra wire components! Congrats on getting featured :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I really love the way you used that hammered pendant.

    I never think to enter the challenge....maybe next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to know what those cream colored beads are -- I have some vintage lucite that look like that -- is that what you used?

    WONDERFUL work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelby, this piece is a fantastic interpretation of the Drama Medallion....just beautiful! I love your wirework and splashes of color! Congrats on being the Designer of the Week at ABS!

    ReplyDelete